Hydro-Power Plant – Electrical Museum (Prizren)

Status

Type of Protection: Permanent protection Date of Protection: 50/77

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

History

Over the Lumbardh Gorge, 2.5 km from Prizren, there is a Hydro-Power Plant “Prizrenasja”. It was built in 1926-1928, with the contributions of citizens and banking loans. The building was designed and constructed by an Austrian company. The building had all modern items of that time: water turbines, debris cleaning area, channels, water streaming equipment, and a 160 KW generator. Due to the large electricity demand, a second generator was put into function in 1936, with the same capacity. The building has two levels: the ground floor has a large area, with the two generators and auxiliary items, while another room holds electricity transmission apparatus. The upper floor stored the engineering room, and also the supervisor of the plant. Initially, one part of the first floor was covered in a plain roof, accessible by a northern door from the engineer’s room. Later, the plain roof was replaced with a sloped one-gutter roof, covered in argyle roof tiles. The Austrian architect had found the best place for exploiting the water, and had tried to adapt the industrial building with the landscape, thereby giving it a form of a castle, inspired by the Upper Fort close by. At the sime time, and with the same style, two transformer stations were built to distribute electricity for Prizren. The building was built in chiselled stone, connected in lime plaster, full brick angles. The floor slabs are constructe din wood. The plain roof is laid in reinforced concrete. The windows are rectangular, with semi-circular openings at their upper part. The entrance is worked in wood, with a semi-circular opening at its upper part. The Hydro-Power Plant used to supply electricity to Prizren from 1929 to 1973. By 1979, this building was turned into an Electrical Museum of Kosovo, due to its relevance for the industrial history of Kosovo. In its adaptation, restoration works were undertaken, the windows were replaced, the interior was plastered, external walls restored, cement plaster works, the electrical room in the ground floor was adapted for an exhibition room, the yard and sanitary facilities were regulated. The first floor was turned into a bar. The yard also features different apparatus from different power plants in Kosovo. upon adaptation into a museum, this room was turned into a restaurant. The Electrical Museum, placed in the historical building of the Hydro-Power Plant, is a unique example for Kosovo, in terms of exhibiting industrial facilities as cultural heritage. The museum was active until the mid-80-es. After quite a long lack of maintenance, in 2011, with a donation from the US Embassy in Kosovo, a restoration project was developed by the QRTK Prizren and CHwB. Restoration works begun in 2012, including the following: Restoration of wall structures; construction of a new roof, internal wall restoration, window conservation, original ground floor door, and yard restoration. Upon completion of works, the museum is planned to be reopened as an Electrical Museum. With its specific position, its harmony with the surrounding landscape, architectural features of the early 20th century, and other original elements preserved, the Hydro-Power Plant represents a monument of high artistic, historical, social and scientific value, not only for Kosovo but the whole region.

References

Unique number: 001425

Name: Hydro-Power Plant – Electrical Museum

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prizren

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Prizren

City/Village: Prizren /Jabllanica

Locality: Lumbardh Gorge

Postal Code: 20000

Name of Street:

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period:

Century: 20th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.