Tabhane (Gjakova)

Status

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: Tetor-2012, Tetor 2013,-Tetor 2014

History

Tabhane is located at a place called Tabhane Meadow near the river Krena. The first premise was built in 1650 by the Guild of Tabak and this premise represented the artisans of the time who after being strengthened in economic terms, built “Tabak Bridge” and “Taliq Bridge”.These two bridges were vital for well-being of the population in this region, because these bridges linked Gjakova with Shkodra and other parts of the Ottoman Empire. Tabaks as leather manufacturers are also mentioned in the memoirs of Evliya Qelebi of 1663 and later on Mueller's report of 1838, which describes the large number of crafts in Gjakova and Tabaks are known as white and black leather manufacturers. Gjakova was a rich city in water resources serving as a prerequisite for organizing tray workshops, especially in Krena river, where there was a large number of cupboards for processing leathers in the same place where the Tabhane premise is located. in 1850, Gjakova numbered 60 Tabakhane for leather processing. Guild of Tabak whose occupation was leather processing, developed his activities in two facilities. One that exists today, served as administration and leather warehouse and the other as a drying place. Leathers were firstly washed in the “cupboard” out of wood which was located in the river and then were sent to the drying facility. This premise was ruined and no longer exists. It was a one-storey premise with square base, but with height in two floors. The first floors were built from stones, while the upper part was made of wood and glass windows in sequence which served for drying of the leather under the influence of wind. Existing premises that served as warehouses and administration, is a two-storey premise. Ground floor is an opening and is built from the half carved stones, while floor is built of wood. Communication with floors is made through wooden stairs found on the outside of the premise on the east side. The premise in general is of stone composition and wood and specific thing is the plastic that comprise full and empty spaces. The roof is covered with Mediterranean tiles and double shelters in harmony with wooden windows with railings. The white colour of the walls to the floors and floor grey stones give a pleasant contrast combined with the colour of wood. Tabhane was rebuilt under the investment that has MCYS and is under the supervision of the Regional Centre for Protection of Cultural Heritage in Gjakova. Today, the Tabhane premise is used as a restaurant for preparation of traditional food.

References

Unique number: 001022

Name: Tabhane

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Gjakovë

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Gjakova

City/Village: Gjakova

Locality: “Grand Charshiya”

Postal Code: 50000

Name of Street: Tefik Qanga

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 17th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.