Secondary School Ruzhdie (Prizren)

Status

Type of Protection: Permanent protection Date of Protection: 356/88

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2010

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

History

The Secondary School Ruzhdie is located in the western Historical Centre of Prizren, namely close to the Tabakhane Complex. It is found in the southern bank of Lumbardh river. The Secondary School Ruzhdie was open in 1874, thereby representing the establishment of new secondary education in Prizren. In the Ruzhdie School, teachings were given for three years, and along religious subjects, the school taught other courses, such as history, geography, natural sciences, mathematics and physics. This manner of teaching in Prizren took until 1912, when the Balkan Wars and the World War I interrupted the school system. After the World War II, the Ruzhdie School was turned into a hospital, thereby adding other facilities next to it, and making it a hospital complex. This function was served by the Ruzhdie School until 1979, when after the flooding, the facility was abandoned, only to be used later as storage and workshop. On 13 January 1992, the building was caught in fire, and it was left to the mercy of time, and from that time, the building can only be discerned by its ruins. The Ruzhdie Building is rectangular, and is developed on two floors. The ground floor is built over the 1.2 m high foundation, in a stone structure. Over such level, the structure in the ground floor and upper floor is made of baked argyle bricks. The eastern façade, the front, is built in Neo-Classical style profiles, which is characteristic for public facilities of that time. After the transformation into a hospital, many non-professional interventions were made, especially in the interior, to suit the hospital needs. The Secondary School Ruzhdie building represents a facility of large artistic, historical, social and scientific values. As an architectural facility, the building represents a special example of public facilities during the 19th century. In historical and social terms, the secondary Ruzhdie school represents proof of high education quality in the 19th century.

References

Unique number: 000631

Name: Secondary School Ruzhdie

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prizren

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Prizren

City/Village: Prizren

Locality: Close to the old Hospital

Postal Code: 20000

Name of Street: Rrasat e Kosharës

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 19th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.