Old Hamam (Turkish bath) (Prizren)

Status

Type of Protection: Permanent protection Date of Protection: 380/54

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2010

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

History

The Gazi Mehmed Pasha Hamam (Turkish Bath) is located near the city centre, near the Kukli-Mehmet Bey Mosque, and the Emin Pasha Mosque. It was built during the period 1563-1574, by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, Sanjak-bey of Shkodra during the period 1573-1574. On the main gate, there is an inscription plate (1833) which shows the restoration date taken by Tahir and Mehmed Pashe Rrotulli. The Turkish Bath is part of the architectonic ensemble established by Gazi Mehmet Pasha, including the Bayrakli Mosque, the Secondary School (Medresse), the primary school (meytep), the library and the mausoleum (turbe). The bath is of the "çifte hamam" type, which means that it was used by both genders at the same time. It is built in different stones. The male part of the Bath is larger than the female one. The Hamam includes all areas required for such baths, including an entry area (reception and bar), wardrobe, central part of bath, the sweating area, the entertainment area, and the heating area, in the south part of the building. The Bath is constructed in various stones, combined with brick. The width of the walls is around 90 cm, plastered on the inside. The roofing of the facility is made of two cupola built upon tumblers (on the cold area – reception), and nine smaller cupola over the hot part of the Bath. The wardrobe and the heating area are covered in lintelts. The roofing envelope includes roof tiles over the cold area, and lead sheeting over other areas. Until 1964, the Bath was surrounded by commercial premises, which were demolished at that time, before restoration and conservation works took place. Even in the 70-ies, there were several renovation works taken, but the facility was left to the mercy of time since then. Since 2000, the cold part of the Hamam is used as a gallery for organizing various cultural, artistic and education activities. The Hamam is one of the most characteristic public facilities of the Ottoman Era in Prizren, bearing extraordinary historical, architectonic, social and environmental importance.

References

Unique number: 000437

Name: Old Hamam (Turkish bath)

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prizren

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Prizren

City/Village: Prizren

Locality: Saraçhana

Postal Code: 20000

Name of Street: Adem Jashari

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 16th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.