Iljaz Kuka Mosque (Prizren)

Status

Type of Protection: Inventorised Date of Protection: 26.03.2003

Type of Protection: Inventorised Date of Protection: 2002

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

History

The Iljaz Kuka Mosque is located on the left bank of Lumbardh River, close to the Binbash spring, in the western boundary of the Historical Centre of Prizren. The construction year is not known, since the inscription was lost. Over the main gate, there is a marble place, with a six-line inscription in Arabic, which means: "Ahmed Bey renovated the mosque in 1317 Hijri (1897)". Based on several sources, it is believed that the mosque was first built as a Mesjid around 1535, while later, the nephew of Kukli-Bey, Mehmed Bey, added the Minaret, thereby paying tribute to his grandfather, Iliaz Kukli, and giving his name to the whole neighbourhood. The mosque has a rectangular foundation, with a vestibule, pertaining to neighbourhood mosque type. It was built in adobe and stone, and plastered from the inside and outside. The roof is a four-gutter roofing, covered in roof tiles, while from the interior, there is a suppressed cupola, earlier decorated in mural paintings. The Minaret is built in the north-western area, in pumice stones, and lime plaster from the outside. It has a rectangular foundation, and a circular structure, while the gallery has no specific decorations, and the covering is conical. The Mosque vestibule was erected upon wood polls, and it used to be open. In the 90-es, another wooden platform was constructed inside the vestibule, thereby gaining another “Mahvil” apart from the existing one. The main semi-circular gate is constructed in chiselled stone, while the door is carved in high mastery. In the main area, the prayer room, the Mahvil is placed over wooden polls, worked in circular shapes, and a fencing carved in geometric forms. The Mahvil fence protrudes in a circular console, thereby giving it dynamics. Next to the Mihrab, the Mimber is worked in carved wood. The Mihrab is constructed as a distinct item, and is thought to have been constructed during the 1897 restorations. The mosque also holds an old watch, believed to pertain to such a period (end of the 19th century). The Mosque yard also has several graves, two of which are constructed in marble, and have rich ornaments of geometric and floral motives, in the arc and vertical stones of a circular foundation. During the years, restorations took place, but without coordination with heritage institutions, thereby damaging and losing many original values of the mosque. Amongst them, the murals, whereby during the 2000 renovations, the last paintings in the cupola and Mahvil were lost. In 2006, several renovation works were made on the exterior of the Mosque, thereby plastering the outer walls, while in 2010, an auxiliary facility was built on the southern area of the parcel, next to the fencing wall.

References

Unique number: 000350

Name: Iljaz Kuka Mosque

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prizren

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Prizren

City/Village: Prizren

Locality:

Postal Code: 20000

Name of Street: Ilijaz Kuka

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 16th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.