Specifics of the Region of Prizren (Cultural Heritage)

The region of Prizren includes the municipality of Rahovec, Suhareka, Dragash, Malisheva, Shtime and Mamusha. The ancient town of Prizren is the administrative and cultural center of this region.Read more

rom ancient times, the town of Prizren is well known as a unique place in the Balkans, due to its cultural heritage, civic values, and diverse regions. Due to its advantageous geographical positions, harmonic interaction of cultures throughout history, and a considerable number of cultural heritage sites of all times, the town of Prizren is rightfully called the "museum town", "open sky museum", or the "Balkan's Dubrovnik", and is ranked as one of Kosovo's most beautiful cities.

Towns and cities of this region are known for their natural beauties and cultural heritage monuments. The territory of the Municipality of Rahovec is full of relics of ancient settlements, which date from early Roman-Illyrian times. Suhareka is also known for its archeological sites of all historical periods, whereas Malisheva is known for its Mirusha Waterfalls, the pool in Village Banjë, the Flladi Cave in Village Panorc, etc. Dragash is known for the beauty of Sharri Mountains, the rich spiritual heritage and cultural multi-ethnicity.

The Region of Prizren, with its material and spiritual heritage and natural beauties, is one of the most visited regions in Kosovo.

The inventory of 2002-2003 listed over 500 monuments of heritage, and the database includes 383 architectural and 13 movable monuments. 168 of them are sacral, 193 profane and 22 utilitarian. In addition, this region has recorded 113 archeological sites, 22 in Prizren, 23 in Suharekë, 31 in Malishevë, 31 in Rahovec, and 6 in Dragash.

Hydro-Power Plant – Electrical Museum

Hydro-Power Plant – Electrical Museum

Over the Lumbardh Gorge, 2.5 km from Prizren, there is a Hydro-Power Plant “Prizrenasja”. It was built in 1926-1928, with the contributions of citizens and banking loans. The building was designed and...

Iljaz Kuka Mosque

Iljaz Kuka Mosque

The Iljaz Kuka Mosque is located on the left bank of Lumbardh River, close to the Binbash spring, in the western boundary of the Historical Centre of Prizren. The construction year is not known, since...

Kaderiye Tekke (Kurila)

Kaderiye Tekke (Kurila)

The Kaderiye Tekke, the Zincirli branch, is located in the Kurilla Neighbourhood, in the north-eastern area of Prizren. This order is one of the oldest in Prizren. It was established around 1655, by S...

Kalender Baba Tomb

Kalender Baba Tomb

Kalender Baba Tomb is located in neighbourhood Terzimahalla neighbourhood between the streets Cara-kavaja and Zahir Pajaziti, with the front oriented towards north. Nearby the tomb, there is an Islaha...

Karabash Complex

Karabash Complex

Karabash complex is located in the south-western part of Prizren on the left side of the river Lumbardhi. This complex has great historical, spiritual and architectural significance as it represents t...

Katarina Josipi House

Katarina Josipi House

Kate Dulaj, otherwise known as Katarina Josipi, was born in 1928 and lived in Zym for 5 years. She was the first Albanian actress in Prishtina National Theatre, where she worked for 20 years, since 19...

Kerek Mosque - Namazjah

Kerek Mosque - Namazjah

The Namazjah is located in the north-western part of the city, next to the Prizren-Gjakova road. The word “namazjah” comes from an old Persian word, meaning a prayer place. After the fall of Prizren u...

Levisha Church (Saint Friday Church)

Levisha Church (Saint Friday Church)

The Saint Friday Church, located in the Historical Centre of PRizren, was reconstructed according to the orders of King Milutin, in 1306-1307. Renovation works were lead by known masters of that time,...

Mahmud Pasha Watch Tower

Mahmud Pasha Watch Tower

The Mahmud Pasha Watch Tower is located in the eastern part of the Mamusha Village, namely in the yard of the Kamber Bey Mosque. According to written sources, Mahmud Pasha Rrotllaj built the tower by ...

Marash Mahala Complex

Marash Mahala Complex

On the left side of Lumbardh River, under the Castle, in the eastern area of Prizren, we have the Urban Complex of Marash. In Arabic, “marash” means a refreshing place. This complex is rich in undergr...

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.