Specifics of the Region of Gjakova (Cultural Heritage)

The town of Gjakova is situated in the south-western area of the Republic of Kosovo, and was established as a resting point from long journeys between the towns of Peja and Prizren. The town lays at the foot of the Qabrati hill, with River Krena crossing through, and Ereniku and Drini i Bardhë Rivers running adjacent to it.Read more

The town of Gjakova and its 85 villages is characterized with a significant number of sites of all types, including, complexes, traditional houses, kullas, mosques, churches, tombs, madrasas, Mejteps, water springs, mills, etc.

Although largely destroyed by the war of 1998-99, Gjakova has managed to protect-conserve and restore most of its cultural heritage, but such efforts must continue.The Municipality of Gjakova has included 148 monuments in its List of Cultural Heritage for Temporary Protection, of all categories, of which 38 are archaeological, 1 Urban Complex "Çarshia e Madhe", and 109 architectural heritage monuments, of which 8 town Kullas, and 23 Kullas in villages.

Illyrian tumuli near the Fshej bridge in Ujza

Illyrian tumuli near the Fshej bridge in Ujza

The Fshej burial mound necropolis belongs to the Late Iron Period (7th – 6th century BC). During the archaeological excavations carried out here in 2011, five tumulus burials were archaeologically exc...

Jupa’s Charshiya

Jupa’s Charshiya

The complex of “Jupa’s Charshiya” is located within “Grand Charshiya” in Gjakova. The premise was originally built in the XVIII century by Batusha family, later passed into the ownership of the Buza f...

KUSARI MOSQUE

KUSARI MOSQUE

Kusari Mosque is one of the most characteristic mosques in Gjakova and it is located in a place called “Kusari Neighbourhood” from where it received its name. The inscription found in the mosque sermo...

MAHMUT PASHA MOSQUE

MAHMUT PASHA MOSQUE

Mahmut Pasha Mosque is located in the part called “Small Charshiya” in Gjakova. The premise was built in 1832-1836 by Mahmut Pasha of Gjakova’s family, Kurtpasha, a famous family, known in all Albania...

Mill of Mulliq Village

Mill of Mulliq Village

Mill of Mulliq village belongs to the category of the best preserved premises, which is built from wood material throughout its structure (foundation, floors, walls and roof construction). According t...

Ruzhdije Mejtep – First Albanian School

Ruzhdije Mejtep – First Albanian School

Ruzhdije Mejtep is located at a place called “Ruzhdije Mejtep” near the house of Sulejman Vokshi. The premise was built in 1810. Firstly, the premise was used as the elementary school in Turkish lang...

ST. ANTHONY CATHOLIC CHURCH (ST NDOU)

ST. ANTHONY CATHOLIC CHURCH (ST NDOU)

Church of St. Anthony is located in the “Catholics neighbourhood”, opposite to the Church of St. Paul and St. Peter in Gjakova. The first church was built in 1882 and it was named the Church of Pater ...

Stone Mansion of Ahmet Islami

Stone Mansion of Ahmet Islami

The stone mansion is located in the village Dujake of Gjakova and was built in the XIX century. The stone mansion is typical for the “Dukagjini Valley”, which means it served for residential and forti...

Stone Mansion of Astrit Tahsum Kryeziu

Stone Mansion of Astrit Tahsum Kryeziu

Stone Mansion of Astrit Tahsum Kryeziu is located in the complex called “Saraj Hill’, at the core of ‘Grand Charshiya built around the XVIII-XIX centuries. When the city of Gjakova is founded, after s...

Stone mansion of Ibish Alia

Stone mansion of Ibish Alia

The stone mansion is located in the Brovina village and is one of stone mansions with the most magnificent appearance of all premises of this type. Stone mansion was built in the Xix century and belon...

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.