First Albanian School (Pristina)

Status

Type of Protection: Inventorised Date of Protection: 24.08.2000

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2013

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2014

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2015

History

The building of the first Albanian School is located in the western part of the historic centre of Prishtina, in the triangle forming Trepca and Ilir Konushevci streets. GF + 1 Storey building is built in the second half of the XIX century by Avdurrahman Pasha, an Albanian from Pristina. It burned down in 1880, but was rebuilt again by sons of Avdurrahman Pasha. In 1908, gymnasium is opened within the building (Idadije) enrolling around 250 Albanian students. After World War II, it was used as military barracks of the former Yugoslavian army for a while. For a while now, this building is used for housing of some families. The building layout is approximately square, typical for the time in which it was built, because it is disconnected from the architectural features of the formative and functional architectural typology of the buildings for the time. The House’s ground floor has a building area of around 290 m2 along with floor area totalling approximately 580 m2; not counting the basement area that is not accessible but is supposed to be based on the photo of the south-western facade. The building's walls are made of stones and bricks covered with plaster which have been degraded by time. The structure within interstitial space is made of wood and filled with clay mortar. From tracks in north eastern facade it can be seen that the windows have been changed from the original state, in south-western facade original openings were preserved. On the façade, there are traces indicating that the windows were repeatedly stressed out.

References

Unique number: 003194

Name: First Albanian School

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prishtinë

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Pristina

City/Village: Prishtina

Locality: Historical Centre of Prishtina

Postal Code: 10000

Name of Street: Rr. "Ilir Konushevci", Nr. 7

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period:

Century: 19th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.