Clock Tower (Pristina)

Status

Type of Protection: Other Date of Protection: 278/1967

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2013

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2014-2015

History

Clock Tower is located at the core of cultural-historical area of Prishtina. It is a building of cultural, historical and architectural value built in the 19th century. The Clock Tower is located in the central part of the ancient part of Prishtina near Mosque of King and it is situated in the courtyard of the high school building. It is one of the most important monuments of utilitarian architecture in Prishtina. The clock tower was built at the end of the 19th century near the place where the previous clock tower existed. The clock mechanism has functioned until the 70s, while it did not work until 2001 and at the same year the clock mechanism and bells were stolen, while since 2002 the clock mechanism has been replaced with digital clock. In this clock tower an old bell was found which during their wars in Moldavia and Wallachia the Turks took it as booty, and as such they brought it to Vushtria and put it on the clock tower. As per order of Jashar Pasha, the bell was brought from Vushtrria to Prishtina. In the surface of the bell, a Romanian inscription since 1764 of Voivode Jan Moldovan was found, which means "This bell was wrought for Voivode Jan Moldovan in 1764". The letters are large, with a length of 2cm and they are stretched around the entire surface of the bell. The bell is decorated with a large number of ornamentals similar to leaves of beech. Although it passed a long way and often changed places and headquarters, it was in good a condition and had no major damages. The Clock Tower is six-angle based building. Its height is 26m, walled by stone up to 16.5m height and with full bricks in the rest of the building. The structure of roof is from wood, covered with lead. In all facades of the tower clock, there are small circular openings. Corners of buildings are built with carved stones joined with lime mortar, and the surfaces in the middle are constructed with irregular stones, joined and plastered also with lime mortar. There are circular stairs inside the tower, in which the stone plates (tablets) are placed, with a thickness of 3cm. In the part of clock tower built of brick, the stairs are wooden, indicating that this part was built later.

References

Unique number: 002764

Name: Clock Tower

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prishtinë

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Pristina

City/Village: Prishtina

Locality:

Postal Code: 10000

Name of Street: "Nazim Gafurri"

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 19th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.