Ruševine Latinsko Katoličke crkve,saksa Sveti Petar (Mitrovica)

Status

Type of Protection: Permanent protection Date of Protection: Nr.v.E.K. 8/58

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2079/2011 30.09.2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2171/2012 01.10.2012

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 3755/2013 01.10.2013

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 4164/2014 01.10.2014

History

The Catholic Church – Saint Peter is located around 9 km to the east of Mitrovica City, in Stan-Tërg, Municipality of Mitrovica. It is a sacred monument, built in 13th century. The ruins of the church present a very beautiful mountainous landscape, with highly visible traces of mineral activities. It was built for catholic community needs and was firstly mentioned in 1303, in conjunction with Trepça. This indicates that the presence of catholic community dates back much earlier than 13th century, when the community of sas minors renown for their mining prowess settled in this locality. Written records hint that the church was likely operational until 16th century (despite the fact that the sas minors seized operations in Trepça since the first decade of 15th century), as the catholic community in this period was still abundant in numbers. Thus, at this time along with The Church of Saint Peter, the Catholic Church of Saint Maria is also mentioned in Trepça, and in 1448, four catholic priests are mentioned. The church is now almost entirely in ruins. Only the old part of perimeter walls remains today (at an approximate height of 0.45 cm above the ground level). The only wall standing is the main part of the eastern wall, with three apses. The building is of the basilica type – three naves; traces of ruins signify that the naves between them were divided with columns and arches. The remaining walls show that the church not only that it had the main entrance to the west, but also had two other side entrances, to the south and north. The base of the church is rectangular (14.0 x 19.0 m), facing west-east and ending with the apsidal part to the east. The apsidal part is better preserved and id covered with three semi-domes. The middle apse in the lower area has one opening – window, while in the upper area has three openings. Window arches are broken, with traces of gothic influence. In all three apses, signs of frescos were preserved in two layers. The first layer originates since 14th century, while the origin of the second layer could not be determined. Construction of walls is significant of Byzantium influence. The structure was built of mixed wall (stones-bricks), the thickness of walls is approximately 1.5 m. Restoration and conservation works were finished in July-August 1967. This cultural monument did don suffer transformation in time, per information available.

References

Unique number: 000006

Name: Ruševine Latinsko Katoličke crkve,saksa Sveti Petar

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Mitrovicë

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Mitrovica

City/Village: Stan-terg

Locality: Stan-terg

Postal Code: 40000

Name of Street: Stan Tërg pn.

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Late Medieval

Century: 13th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.