Arsim Leniqi’s House (Mitrovica)

Status

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2079/2011 30.09.2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2171/2012 01.10.2012

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 3755/2013 01.10.2013

History

The urban residential building (G+1) is located in the city centre, an area covered by the Regulatory Plan “Qendra”. The city is known as the house of Asim Leniqi. The citizens remember that Asim Leniqi, a metal craftsman known in the city, was arrested in 1941, and that his wife Rezika was Hungarian. This residential building was constructed by the end of the 18th century, and it was used for residential purposes, and the designation is preserved to this day. This house has generally preserved its original structure of construction. For some time, the house was used by the known physician, Dr. Nehmin Shefajn. He cured many citizens in Mitrovica and other areas of Kosovo from chicken pox. Dr. Shefajn had come to Kosovo by the 20th century, from the Soviet Union, as member of the International Red Cross Mission. The building is an urban residential facility. The house was built over the stone foundation, and has two stories. The building is constructed with a “Bondruck” system, with wooden frames and horizontal and vertical ranges of wood, thereby shaping the stable constructive system. The wooden frames are filled and paved in baked argyle bricks, with lime plastering. In the ground floor, the eastern façade, the building angles, and the early door protrusion with an arched finishing, are all realized in lime plaster and chiselled stone, and finishing on the upper floor and a minor projection from the façade. The projecting joists of the floor in the eastern façade not only increases the internal area, but also adds to the artistic view of the house. The three-gutter roof is classical, made in wood, covered in baked argyle tiles. External and internal walls are plastered in lime. There are traces of intervention and transformation in openings. Not all original woodwork is preserved. The rooms have eastern, southern and western orientations. The structure has not changed. Apart from several interventions in the interior and the exterior, the hosue has preserved its originality, and has not suffered any major change, and still retains its residential purpose. Even today, the building is inhabited. In 1957, the house was nationalized, and until then, the house was recorded as property of Asim Leniqi. In different times, the house had different uses: a labour bureau (1950-1957), health point for the city (1947-1950). Since 1957, it is used for housing. Three families live in the house.

References

Unique number: 000434

Name: Arsim Leniqi’s House

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Mitrovicë

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Mitrovica

City/Village: Mitrovica

Locality: Mitrovica

Postal Code: 40000

Name of Street:

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 18th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.