Belediye Spring (Prizren)

Status

Type of Protection: Permanent protection Date of Protection: 479/77

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2010

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2011

Type of Protection: Under termporarly protection Date of Protection: 2012

History

Prizren is well known for its many public water springs. One of the most famous springs in the city is the Belediye Spring. Its name comes from the Turkish word for the Municipality of Prizren, built during the Ottoman era, in the 19th century. The spring was built in the yard of the Belediye, (Turkish for Municipality), during the 19th century. The spring was located between the Belediye and the Mustafa Pasha Mosque. At this place, the spring had its primary function from its construction until 1960. At that time, the whole neighbourhood underwent major changes. The Mustafa Pasha Mosque was demolished in 1952. On the right side of the river, a road route was built and paved from the “Tabakhana” neighbourhood to “Marash”. The Spring was found in the middle of the route. As a consequence of the road construction, the spring was relocated in 1963 to the “Boulevard of Martyrs”, located in the central part of the town, between the bridge, the Arasta Mosque and the Albanian League of Prizren. The spring is built in chiselled lime stones. By chiselling, the stone blocks were carved in rectangular shapes, in different sizes. On its upper part, at all sides, there are arches, and a semi-circular stone is placed on top. On the front side, there is a shallow profile, in the shape of a frame, which should hold an inscription with basic information, but it is missing. Later, in the front arch, a second inscription was placed, which says “Sud-Opstina Prizren-1925 god.”(Municipal Court in Prizren - 1925”). The fountain has only one spring. It used the city water supply. Its trough is made of concrete and the stones are rectangular. At the time of reconstruction in the square, a water channel was also built to penetrate the square. The channel and the fountain represented a kind of an attraction. Unfortunately, this has not functioned for many years, while the empty channel still exists.

References

Unique number: 000426

Name: Belediye Spring

Class: Monument

Institution: RCCH - Prizren

Location

Country: Kosovo

Municipality: Prizren

City/Village: Prizren

Locality: Arasta

Postal Code: 20000

Name of Street: "Sheshi i Lidhjes"

Functional type and dating

Type:Arkitektuale - ENG

Period: Ottoman

Century: 19th

Supported by:

The development of the Database is made possible by the generous support of the British Embassy in Pristina. The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors.
The project for the development of this database has been implemented by the Swedish Foundation of Cultural Heritage without Borders CHwB.
© 2014 / The content expressed herein are responsibility of the Government of Kosovo ose the Ministry for Culture, Youth and Sports and do not necessarily reflect the views of the donors or CHwB.